Live-in Caregivers

Live-in Caregivers in Canada – Applying for Permanent Residence

If you have been working as a live-in caregiver in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence if your work experience meets the following requirements:

  • authorized full-time live-in employment for 24 months, or
  • authorized full-time employment for 3,900 hours. You may complete these hours within a minimum of 22 months. When calculating your hours, may include up to 390 hours of overtime; and
  • The work experience must be gained within four years of the date on which you arrived in Canada.

Applying to Change Employers in the Live-in Caregiver Program

If you came to Canada through the live-in caregiver program, you want to stay in the program, and you want to change employers, then you will first need to sign a written employment contract with your new employer. Your employer will need to submit this contract as part of their Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application. You employer must then receive a positive LMIA from Service Canada. Lastly, you will have to obtain a new work permit. It is important to keep the expiry date of your current work permit in mind when changing employers. There are deadlines that need to be met in order to obtain your new work permit.

Applying to Extend/Change Conditions of Your Work Permit

If you already have a work permit in the Live-In Caregiver Program, you can apply to extend the expiration date of your work permit or change the conditions listed on it. If you have lost your status while still in Canada, you may be able to apply to restore your status in certain cases. There are deadlines that apply.

Contact us for more information about working as a live-in caregiver in Canada or applying for permanent residence as a live-in caregiver.

juanLive-in Caregivers